Gwendoline Christie’s Bear Moment On Game Of Thrones Was The Real Deal
Remember that crazy-slash-kinda-epic Game of Thrones moment when Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie) had to get in the pit with a grizzly and do her best to not get torn to shreds, all for the sick bloodlust fancy of the Harrenhal crowd?
Well, guess what? That whole thing went down just like you saw. As in, Gwendoline Christie actually went toe-to-toe with a real-life bear for the show, CGI alternatives be damned. Hear her roar!
Turns out, Bart the Bear aka “Little Bart”—an experienced actor, BTW, whom you’ve totally seen before in Into the Wild and/or Dr. Doolittle 2—was a total pro on the set and only required jusssst a few modest environmental modifications to keep him in the thespian zone (you know, instead of using his formidable set of claws on someone’s face).
Bart’s requirements were not only reasonable, but they were basically nothing compared to what some set divas supposedly demand.
(1) A low electric fence set between him and GC — more for her safety than his own comfort, of course;
(2) His own trailer and two weeks spent at the L.A. shooting location “to climatize”;
(3) A little country western music playing at all times in the background to keep calm and bear-y on;
(4) A little warm cream served up on a frying pan for good behavior;
(5) And a round of applause upon every exit of his trailer because ACTORS.